Yesterday was my birthday. It’s hard to believe how old I am, as well as how much and how little I have achieved in those years.
Since all I’ve posted, for the most part, is reading and writing related, I thought I’d switch it up today and share a few things about myself. If you make it through all of them, you’ll know how old I am (plus one day). Don’t cheat and just scroll to the end, though!
1. My name is super important to me. I got married young, so I love presenting myself as a writer with my maiden and married name. After all, I wanted to be a writer before I met my husband.
2. The first book I tried to REALLY query was a YA Contemporary. I have since learned that my characters voices tend to be more historical and less contemporary.
3. When I was younger I changed my mind between writing, music, and acting. I pretty much wanted to do anything that involves being famous. Not much has changed. Just perspective.
4. I am married and have two young boys.
5. I live in Arizona, but the place I lived (and loved)the longest was North Carolina. Before that I moved around due to military brat status and PK (pastors kid) status.
6. I think about writing picture books from the things my four-year-old says, but I just don’t think I’m cut out for it.
7. I didn’t start reading current YA fiction until I was in college and took an Adoleacent Literature class. It changed my life.
8. I graduated from Appalachian State University with an English, Creative Writing degree.
9. I drink my coffee with just cream in it, and that cream usually has a flavor. I’m a sucker for trying the new flavors from coffee mate and international delight.
10. When I don’t know what to do, I bake.
11. My favorite authors are Ann Rinaldi & Samuel Shellabarger.
12. My favorite book is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
13. Never have I ever been to Disney World, but I went to Disney Land for the first time last year. It was for my son’s birthday, but I’m pretty sure it’s in the top 10 best times of my life.
14. I don’t have a favorite movie, at all. I love movies too much in general.
15. The last musical I saw was Jersey Boys at the Paris Hotel in Vegas (in 2014).
16. I’m currently reading, I’m Glad About You, and loving it.
17. My TBR list has at least 50 books on it right now. It makes me feel like I’m so far behind sometimes.
18. I love taking pictures almost as much as I love reading, but I’m no professional photographer.
19. My husband and I eloped when we were 18.
20. I have been to three countries and 33 states. My husband has me beat with the states.
21. I have currently given up my personal FB, but I’m a sucker for Instagram and Twitter. My author page is still up, too.
22. My favorite bad habit is Cherry Coke Zero.
23. I am a sucker for all things cookies and cupcakes.
24. My favorite book that I’ve read this year has to be Passenger. I know it’s gotten mixed reviews, but I’m impatiently waiting for the sequel coming out next year.
25. Last year on my birthday I was 7 (almost 8) months pregnant and had to go to the ER. My hubby was traveling for work, so my (then) 3YO went with me and it turned out I had pneumonia.
26. It’s hard for me to realize I’m older than 25.
27. I have a special project I’m working on (and I’m not talking about my WIP) that I’ll be announcing soon. Stay tuned!
My birthday pin was a gift from my 4YO, who insisted I wear it all day. I have to admit, it was kind of nice having random strangers tell me happy birthday.